THIS GRANDMA’S SOUTHERN-STYLE CHICKEN N’ DUMPLINGS RECIPE IS PURE COMFORT FOOD!!!!
To Cook Chicken And Make Broth:
- 1 whole chicken, thawed and cleaned (remove and discard giblets from cavity)
- ½ cup carrots, celery, and onion (OPTIONAL-to flavor the chicken broth)
- Water to completely cover chicken in a large stockpot.
To Make The Dumplings:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 heaping Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- ½ cup HOT water
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
To finish soup:
- Two large chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup water mixed with 2 Tablespoons flour
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (approx. 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper)