BEST CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
- ¼ pound chopped bacon
- 2 cups large-diced onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork or pork sausage
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups (about 1 small head) chopped cabbage, core removed
- 1 – 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-½ tablespoons red wine vinegar (or your favorite non-balsamic vinegar)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just browned.
Add the diced onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add the ground beef and ground pork, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the meat is cooked halfway.
Add the long grain rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until toasted.
Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the crushed chili flakes and cook for 1 minute.
Add the smoked paprika and bay leaf. Stir in the chopped cabbage, and let cook for 3 minutes, or until slightly softened.
Add the diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, beef broth …