SPECIAL CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
- ¼ pound chopped bacon
- 2 cups large-diced onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork or pork sausage
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups (about 1 small head) chopped cabbage, core removed
- 1 – 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-½ tablespoons red wine vinegar (or your favorite non-balsamic vinegar)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just browned.
Add the diced onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
Add the minced garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add the ground beef and ground pork, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the meat is cooked halfway.
Add the long grain rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until toasted.
Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the crushed chili flakes and cook for 1 minute.
Add the smoked paprika and bay leaf. Stir in the chopped cabbage, and let cook for 3 minutes, or until slightly softened.
Add the diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, beef broth, vegetable stock, oregano and thyme to the pot.
over with the lid, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
Stir to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Remove the bay leaf and serve warm.
You can absolutely use lean ground beef in this recipe, if that’s your preference.
When it comes time to choose your vinegar for this recipe, use anything BUT balsamic.